I love the savory flavor of a good vegan taco! I have not had actual tacos since being in Minnesota so I was very excited to make gluten free vegan tacos and they were delicious! In this post I will give you the recipe to make your very own homemade taco sauce and a delicious tahini vegan “cheese” sauce for the tacos. Let’s get started:
You will need to prepare some:
Once you have done that, here are the ingredients for the taco sauce:
- 2 medium tomatoes (or 10 to 12 ounces of tomato juice)
- 2 Tablespoons of tomato paste (close to 32 grams)
- 3 Tablespoons of paprika
- 1/2 Tablespoon of tumeric
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of oregano, dried
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- Dash of ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons of onions, minced
- 1/2 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of organic raw cane sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
Add the ingredients to a medium sized sauce pan and place the pan on the stove over medium-low heat. Bring the sauce to a simmer and allow it to simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
Our friend and fellow blogger over at ohshecooks.com has a post of an amazing idea to make a vegan cheese sauce using tahini as a base! The sauce I made does not look as good as hers does but it does taste amazing! Here are the ingredients for the tahini based cheese sauce:
- 6 Tablespoons of tahini
- 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 1/4 teaspoons of tumeric
- 1/4 teaspoon of mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons of water
Mix them all together in a bowl until a smooth consistency emerges.
Now, take all of your ingredients and use your favorite version of a gluten free vegan taco shell. Feel free to heat the walnut meat, vegan cheesy sauce and the taco sauce (if it has become cold) up to enjoy a warm taco while you are pre-heating your favorite gluten free taco shells. Or for an almost all raw version use a fresh, crisp piece or Romaine lettuce as your taco shell!
I like to add the walnut meat on the bottom, drizzle some taco sauce over that and place the tahini sauce over the taco sauce. Add your tomatoes, olives, lettuce and whatever else you enjoy on your tacos to top them off. They are truly amazing!