These are not your usual mashed potatoes! They have a mild kick to them. They are sweet & spicy mashed potatoes! Here’s how we made them:
Pre-heat the oven to 100° Celsius (212° F)
- 5 medium sized organic potatoes, wash them. Then either place them directly on the oven rack or wrap them in aluminum foil.
Leave them in the oven for 1 hour at this temperature. Then turn the oven down to 50° Celsius (122° F) for another 30 minutes. The idea here is to make sure the potatoes are soft enough for a fork to mash them by hand as well as peel the skin off easily before mashing.
While the potatoes are cooking in the oven, mix the following in a large mixing bowl:
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) of chopped or diced red onions
- 1/2 cup (100 ml) diced green peppers
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) of vegan butter
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of basil – dried
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of oregano – dried
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) of olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon of sugar
- 3 teaspoons of mustard
- dash of paprika powder
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) of nutritional yeast
Set this mixture aside until potatoes are done.
Once the potatoes are done cooking (you can test this by finding the largest potato in the oven and see if a fork goes through the center of it without resistance), take them out of the oven. If you wrapped them in aluminum foil, now is the time to remove the aluminum foil. Let the potatoes cool for 10 to 20 minutes before handling them. You should find it easy to peel the skin off the potatoes, it usually slides off without very much effort at all at this point.
After peeling the skin off, put the potatoes in the bowl you set aside and begin mashing with a fork until all the potatoes have been mashed. Stir until ingredients have spread evenly and enjoy!