I was thinking to make the beloved μπάμιες (bAHHm-yehs) in a different way. I saw people around here cooking them with garlic and I thought to myself: “I want to create a white sauce for them”. I liked the outcome so I’ll share it with you here! Here is how we made okras with lemon sauce:
Ingredients for the sauce:
- 12 tablespoons (1 cup or 200 ml) olive oil
- 4 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of vegan worcester sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of vegan Parmesan cheese
- half a block of tofu ( of a 200 gram tofu block)
- 1 teaspoon of dill
- sea salt
Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a good mixer or blender. I would suggest the sauce to be more liquid than creamy (the okras will be cooked in it).
- Okras/μπάμιες without their head soaked in wine vinegar for 30 minutes
In a frying pan coated with some olive oil, sizzle the okras until they are soft, then add the sauce, cover the pan with a lid and stir frequently. Try one okra out to see if you like the texture; if so, that’s when the food is ready!