I made this grilled Italian tofu last night and I still cannot believe how great it turned out! There are many ways to grill tofu, but this is the way that works best for me.
Grilled Italian Tofu “Chicken” Ingredients:
- 2 Tablespoons of vegan butter
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of tamari
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh red onion, diced
- 1/2 Tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 Tablespoon of dried basil
- 1/2 Tablespoon of dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 400 grams of tofu (2 blocks) chopped into cubes (I use organic wet tofu, not the dry kind). This equals 3 cups of chopped tofu chicken cubes.
Get a large frying pan and put the butter, olive oil and tamari in it. Place the pan over medium heat on the stove. As soon as you smell the olive oil or see the butter melting add the garlic and onion. Saute for a while, when you smell the garlic add the oregano, basil, thyme and sea salt. Stir until everything is distributed evenly.
Finally, add all the tofu and keep it on medium heat. Stir frequently until the tofu gains color. If you have tongs try to grill two sides of the tofu for 7 minutes each side. You do not want anything to burn so you must stir and hopefully get some of the pieces of tofu to flip on a new side once in a while.
This vegan mock chicken is really delicious!