This baked tofu sandwich with a smoothie is a lovely idea for a vegan gluten free snack to take with you to school, work or a picnic! The baked tofu sandwich is satisfying and is perfectly complimented by the smoothie you can bring with you in a mason jar. We worked a lot until we could figure out a way to make tofu tasty and colorful without frying it, and we are proud to present you with the results. This is another recipe idea by Dimitra Makrigianni who is a nutritionist we are working with to create a vegan nutrition project this week.
Ingredients for the Baked Tofu:
- 200 grams of firm tofu
- 2 cups (400 ml) of water
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of curry
- 1/4 teaspoon of tumeric
- 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice
Instructions for the Baked Tofu:
- Strain the tofu from the excess liquid by gently pressing it against a cutting board. Slice it but be careful not to slice it too thin or it will fall apart.
- Whisk all the other ingredients in a large bowl for the marinade. Place the tofu slices in the bowl. Make sure the slices are covered with the marinade. Marinade overnight (12 to 24 hours).
- Preheat your oven to 160° C (320° F).
- Pour some of the marinade in an oven safe pan. Add the tofu slices. Bake for 10 minutes. Flip them over with a spatula and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and get ready to make your sandwiches!
Ingredients for the sandwich:
- Gluten free vegan bread (click here for a recipe)
- Baked Tofu
- Arugula (Salad Rocket)
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Olive paste
Ingredients for the smoothie (makes about 500 ml or 16.9 fl. oz.)
- 2 blood oranges
- 2 normal oranges
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 banana
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. If you don’t have a blender you can juice the oranges and mix all the ingredients in a food processor.
- Strain the smoothie into a mason jar if you are on the go! Or you could use a glass if you are eating at home.