I love Barbecue sauce! I had tried to make my own BBQ sauce a few years ago but I didn’t really like it. Needless to say, I have learned a lot about making condiments since then so it was time to try again! Back home in Minnesota it is easy to find a delicious organic gluten free vegan BBQ sauce at just about any grocery store. Here there are only a few options and none of them are organic. So, the journey began…
Ingredients (makes about 2 1/2 cups/590 ml of BBQ sauce):
- 2 cups/480 ml of ketchup (we used our own, click here for recipe)
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons of tamari
- 1/4 cup of organic blackstrap molasses (we used this one which we bought locally at Botanica or click here for North American option)
- 1/2 Tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of red onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves or 3/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 4 Tablespoons of organic raw cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon of mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne powder (optional, only use if you love spicy BBQ!)
- 1/2 teaspoon of ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground allspice
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Add all ingredients to blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce into medium to large sauce pan.
- Place pot on stove over medium heat.
- Once sauce begins to simmer, stir every few minutes until sauce thickens.
- Once the sauce is as thick as you would like (this usually takes us 25-30 minutes), remove pot from heat and allow time for sauce to cool.
- Store sauce in refrigerator in a sealed container or jar.