Romantic dinner for two, on Valentine’s day… You cook for your significant other and you have one thought in your head: what should I cook so our breath doesn’t stink? Garlic is out of the question, onion too…but what will give flavor to your food? Try this vegan cheesy Italian tomato sauce, for a tasteful yet safe romantic candlelight dinner!
- 1 small red onion, peeled but not cut
- 500 grams of tomato juice (about 2 1/4 cups or the juice from 3 medium tomatoes)
- 70 grams of tomato paste (just over 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon of raw cane sugar
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 cup of grated or shredded vegan cheese that melts
- Vegan Parmesan
- Olive oil
Coat a small saucepan with some olive oil and put the sauce pan over medium heat. Add the whole red onion and sizzle it as it is. This will allow the onion to flavor the olive oil and the sauce, but you will remove it and won’t have to eat it! Perfect for the breath!
Sizzle the onion for a couple of minutes and turn it so it doesn’t burn .Then, add the tomato juice, paste, basil leaves, sea salt, pepper and sugar. Stir; cover with the lid to allow the sauce to simmer and come together for about 20 minutes. Once the sauce is thicker, remove the onion and add the grated vegan cheese. Stir until the vegan cheese melts.
Serve on top of pasta or gnocchi, with vegan parmesan cheese. Nummy!