We usually make most of our vegan cheeses using almonds or cashews as the base ingredient. However, I wanted to try something different as a way of keeping the cost down when making vegan cheese. As a result this vegan smoked cheddar cheese dip recipe is made using chickpeas (garbanzo beans). The flavor is amazing and the recipe is simple. We have been making this delicious snack a lot since coming up with the recipe a few months ago now. Give it a whirl!
This vegan smoked cheddar works great as a spread or sandwich condiment as well. As you can see in the photos, we enjoyed it in a vegan “cheese steak” sandwich made using soy “steaks”. Click here for the vegan cheesesteak recipe!
Ingredients to make 3 cups or 740 grams/26 oz of vegan cheese:
- 1 cup (200 grams or 7 oz) of dried chickpeas which is equal to 2 1/2 cups or 480 grams/17 oz of boiled or canned chickpeas/garbanzo beans. COST: 1.12€/$1.28 for organic/bio or 1.04€/$1.19 for non-organic.
- 1 Tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice. COST: 0.20€/$0.23 for 1 lemon
- 6 Tablespoons (90 ml) of olive oil. COST: 0.45€/$0.51
- 4 Tablespoons (1/4 cup) of nutritional yeast. COST: 0.22€/$0.25
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt. COST: 0.03€/$0.03
- 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder or 1/2 of a garlic clove. COST: 0.03€/$0.03
- 1 teaspoon of vegan liquid smoke. COST: 0.10€/$0.11 (North America Example or Example for Europe)
- 1/2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. COST: 0.01€/$0.01
- 1 red pepper. COST: 0.30€/$0.34 for 1 organic red pepper
- 1 1/4 cup (295 ml) water. COST: 0.01€/$0.01
Total cost for 740 grams/26 oz of this vegan cheese is 2.47€ or $2.82. Keep in mind our prices include taxes here in Greece and the U.S. Dollar amount is a conversion of that amount based on today’s exchange rate.
- Boil the chickpeas for 30 – 45 minutes. Strain excess water from the boiled chickpeas when done.
- Add all the ingredients plus the boiled chickpeas into a food processor or high powered blender. I removed the green top and seeds from the red pepper before adding it.
- Blend or process until mixture is as smooth as possible.
- Serve and enjoy!