Although asparagus season is almost over there is still time to make something creative using it. I made this asparagus and mushroom pasta and we both loved it! We thought it would be a good recipe to share in case anybody else is looking for asparagus ideas. Recently we posted our Vegan Tofu Parmesan Pasta recipe featuring the new Viofree/Violife vegan Parmesan cheese. That recipe was Jake’s idea so now it was my turn to use the new vegan Parmesan!
Ingredients for 3-4 servings:
- 500 grams (17.6 oz) of white mushrooms chopped in medium sized pieces
- 300 grams (10.5 oz) of asparagus freshly chopped in small pieces (discard the bigger pieces from the bottom of the asparagus)
- 50 grams (1.76 oz) of green onions (about 3-4 green onions), finely chopped
- 50 grams (1.76 oz or 1/4 cup) of red onions finely chopped
- 400 ml (1 2/3 cup) of almond cream
- 3/4 cup (75 grams or 2.65 oz) shredded vegan mozzarella cheese that melts.
- Olive oil for the pan
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Grated vegan Parmesan cheese for garnishment.
- Place a rather big frying pan on medium to high heat with the bottom covered in olive oil.
- When the olive oil is hot enough, add the chopped asparagus and saute for about 8 minutes or until soft.
- Add the onions, saute for 2-3 minutes and then add the mushrooms and spices. Stir and saute until soft.
- Finally, add the almond cream and the shredded vegan cheese and keep stirring until the vegan cheese melts and the sauce becomes nice and thick.
- In the meantime, boil your favorite vegan noodles, strain.
- When everything is ready, serve!
Enjoy warm or cold, with vegan Parmesan on top.